Monday, August 29, 2005

Did you say BUY a picnic table?



We love that Starbucks!!!

So, we were married six months ago and it's been interesting living with a boy! I always knew guys and girls were different, but Mars and Venus we are my friends. This weekend was another reminder of just how funny men can be.

After a late night of poker playing with my husband's guys (I kicked butt by the way), Sunday was to be Domestic Goddess Day. You know, I roll out of bed around 10 a.m., drink a whole pot of coffee, and clean-do laundry, make dinner, do some crafts that Martha Stewart suggests are easy, etc. My husband informs me that his buddy Todd is coming over and they are going to build a picnic table in our backyard today. Six months ago I might have inquired Why? Who is it for? Why don't you just BUY one?, but that was six months ago...I don't question anymore.

Todd rolls in our house around 11:00 am and off they go to Lowe's. I clean and start some laundry, then get bored and call my friend Holly who is bored too and tell her to come over. I never make plans on Sunday's because it is "cleaning" day, but I always end up doing something.

An hour and a half later they roll up with wood in the truck and the excitement to create things with their hands. Apparently this can only be done if both men are shirtless, have baseball hats on backwards, and a tool belt around their waists. Saws and hammers and other things I don't care to know the name of are situated. Then the first snag. One thing I was not aware of when I got married was that I am now the house inventory keeper. I am laying on our family room floor wishing Holly would get over here because as much fun as Laguna Beach is...I have already seen these episodes and I am 28 years old and starting to feel some shame when, it happens. I hear the sliding glass door open and cringe "Uh, Babe where are our extension cords?" Why? Why am I now suppose to know where his shoes, keys, cell phone, and the now the extension cords are at?! I yell back that I don't know, as usual I have no idea where his stuff is.

Now they are off to go borrow an extension code from another friend. They get back a half hour later. It is now 1:30 and not a nail has been hammered. Every time Holly and I step outside, it seems as if all they are doing is talking and hand gesturing wildly to each other. We hear some sawing and various other noices and figure progress is being made. Sliding door movement, talking in my kitchen. I walk in to see them deep in thought staring at our kitchen table. Whatever, Holl and I go outside to smoke. Outside we see what is a very tall wood table and wonder what is going on in my kitchen. Twenty minutes of my husband moving a peice of wood while Todd tells him where to move it and Holl decides to ask a question. I mutter under my breath for her to stop...but it is too late. "What are you two trying to figure out?" They answer that they think the table MIGHT be a little too tall and they are trying to figure out where to connect the bench to the table. Then my unmarried friend turns to me and says that they should just go grab a kitchen chair, put it up to the bench and measure it that way. I say "Just walk away Holl, walk away!" She does not and after she shares her advice, she is stared at blankly by two grown man who then turn back to their project as if she never spoke.

Finally after more banging, sawing noices, and one more trip to Lowe's...we hear silence. It is 6:30 pm. We walk outside and are amazed to see a beautiful looking picnic table and two very proud men pointing at it. All that was missing was a tah dah. As we are sitting around the picnic table Holl askes them how much they saved building this table instead of buying it. Oh sweet little Holly! They saw one two feet shorter at Lowe's for $69.99.

Wood $140, Air-conditioning let out of my house because they plugged the extension cord in through our kitchen window for 5 1/2 hours $20, Nails $3.00, Copious amounts of gateraid $10.00, BBQ I fed them after job well done $40.00...being shirtless and sweaty with a buddy while wearing a tool belt and creating an object we can now tell the rest of the male world that we made...PRICELESS!

0 Comments:

For the slow, comment here

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Past Genuis

  • Wholesome Baby Food
  • Cotton Babies
  • A little Pregnant
  • The Cloth Diaper whisperer
  • Little Man Chase
  • Shaken Mama
  • Karla Babble
  • Mad Ethel
  • The Blinding Glare
  • I think therefore I am Frustrated
  • Bore-a-phil!
  • Conti
  • H-Town Girl
  • Life, Las Vegas Style
  • Blogger


    Free Web Counter
    Web Counter
    QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.