Monday, December 19, 2005

Crying? There's no crying in baseball!


My experience yesterday got me thinking about the last time my dad heard me cry. I thought you all might enjoy it. (The actual events, not the events causing the tears) Also, I started tearing up right before we walked down the isle and my Dad looked at me with fear in his eyes and then laughed and said the above "A league of their own" quote. Yep, he totally did. That is my trying not to cry face over there.

Two years ago my husband' father died very suddenly. It was a horrible time in our lives, especially my husband. We weren't married at the time. The memorial service was a month after he died and I am really emotionally retarded, so I hadn't cried at all about this. My parents were out of town for the weekend of the memorial and could not attend. After we spent time with his family we left. Skywalker dropped me off at my car and I was going to go back to my apartment to get changed and meet him over at his place. I got in my car and just couldn't stop thinking about how much pain Skywalker was in and how much I love my dad, how blessed I am and I just burst into tears. I'm talking makeup down my face, snot running down my nose, screaming crying. I had the overwhelming urge to tell my father I love him. I really thought hard about doing this because my Dad isn't good with crying. Or as he puts it "I don't do feelings. Suck it up, move on." or as I like to say, repress, repress, repress. But I couldn't shake it. I needed to tell him I love him even though I always tell him that. I'm five minutes from my apartment and I dial his cell.

ring, ring, ring,
Dad: Hey Rit.
Rit: sniffle and lots of me trying to actually talk "Dad" I burt into tears.
Dad: Whats wrong, where are you, do you need your mom! PAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM!
Rit: hysterical "Dad..no...I...just..."burst of tears
Dad: Rit, what is wrong...oh shit today was the memorial. Do you want you mom, let me go get her. PAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM, PAM, PAAAAAMMMMM. (he screamed panic filled his voice)
Rit: "Dad..I...love..you.so..MUCH. HOLY SHIT!!!!!horns, screeching of tires, my cell goes flying
on the floorboard.
Dad: What the hell! Rit, where are you? Rit, rit?
Rit: Crap..I almost got into..an..accident. Dad, I am so lucky to...
Dad: You are driving! Put over. RIGHT NOW! Shit, uh uh uh. Where in the hell is your mother. PAAMMMMMMMMMM! my mom"what the hell is wrong with you! I'm trying to get ready." It's Rit, she's crying and...
Rit: now I'm almost pissing myself with laughter at my Dad's inability to deal with any emotion "Dad, I just called to let you know how much I love you and to hear your voice"
Dad:Oh, uh uh. Don't cry and drive, damn it!

You gotta love it. Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion. (ten points to the person who know what movie that is from)

7 Comments:

Yeah, I look just like him. When I was a kid and people would say that, I get all pissed and yell at them "But I'm a girl, HELLO!"
I guess no one wants 10 points.
I don't know the movie, but it does sound like an late 80's band. Drivin' n Cryin' I think.
rit, i think it is sweet! i wish i wanted to call my dad.
Burn, baby, burn.

The quote is 'Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion' From steel magnolias.
Heather, Sorry I was in a meeting.
This is what you do

(a href="http:// enter in the web address you want to use")source(/a)

remember to replace the () with < and >
I was just thinking the same thing. And now I'm wondering why the hell I have been so f*ing nausause. now I am wondering how I managed to get a degree and make a ton of money with my crap spelling skills. Oh, I want to watch Napolean Dynomite...

For the slow, comment here

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Past Genuis

  • Wholesome Baby Food
  • Cotton Babies
  • A little Pregnant
  • The Cloth Diaper whisperer
  • Little Man Chase
  • Shaken Mama
  • Karla Babble
  • Mad Ethel
  • The Blinding Glare
  • I think therefore I am Frustrated
  • Bore-a-phil!
  • Conti
  • H-Town Girl
  • Life, Las Vegas Style
  • Blogger


    Free Web Counter
    Web Counter
    QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.