Monday, December 12, 2005

100 Things Wrong with Me-Holiday Edition

So this one will be a special top ten limited edition.

1. I love christmas music. LOVE IT! I have 50-60 holiday CDs and play them from midnight on Thansgiving to midnight on December 31. In the car, in my house, work, everwhere. My Ipod has all christmas all day long. My husband was ready to kill me the day after the day after Thanksgiving. Every morning when I was growing up, my mom would blare christmas music and wake us up by singing it at the top of her lungs and coming into our bedrooms. Nothing says I love you better than a little wake up call "Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say on a bright hawian Christmas day!" Johnny Mathis is telling me right now that It's the most wonderful time of the Year.

2. My mom still hasn't admitted to me that there is no Santa. When I was 10 and went to her and told her that Jason T. told me there was no Santa. She told me he wasn't going to get any presents that year and will probably permantly be on the bad list. I was already suspicious because 4 years earlier I noticed that Santa's handwriting looked like my mom's. After I made that statement, the handwriting was different. Then the next year I noticed that Santa used the same wrapping paper. The following year the paper was different. Every year I try to get her to tell me. I now tell her that when I have kids, they might be totally disappointed when they get no toys on Christmas because I am still told Santa is real. To prove my point, I will not buy them presents and we will wait for Santa. One of two things will happen. Either my children will be scared for life and she will have to admitt this to me or she will break into my house with presents from Santa.

3. Every year, when the first snow happens I get all excited and go sled riding. We registered for a kickass sled when we got married. So we get all bundled up and go to a ginorous hill. We sled down it many times and then I remember that I hate being cold and I will start bitching about how cold it is and that snow has gotten up my gloves and sleeves. Whine, whine. I'm just trying to relive my childhood.

4. I can't hide when I don't like a present. Um, recently I got a present from someone and tried super super hard to look like I liked it. Skywalker said I looked like someone told me a dead baby joke while I smelled someone's shoe. Don't I get points for trying to look happy?

5. No matter how hard I try, I am always still getting presents on Christmas Eve. I love buying people presents and I work really hard to get them something they would like and is meaningful. I tried to start shopping months in advance, but I got too excited and gave them their present early and then had to buy another present. I believe it is a lost cause.

6. This might be the first Christmas that I don't sleep at my parents. I am sad. How will Santa know where I am? ::tears in Rit's eyes:: I think Skywalker enjoyed Christmas at my parents so much last year, he'll let us spend the night again. But we are married now...

7. Every year I buy Christmas cards and every year I send out like 3 cards. I get the stamps and sign them, but I hate addressing them and stuff. I have like 200 various signed christmas cards. This year I WILL do it. Yes, I will. SHUT UP!

8. Every year my Grandma has Christmas Eve. We all go to church together and then eat tons of appetizers. There are no presents anywhere. Then the kids have to go into the basement. We are down there for about 15 minutes when you hear the front door open up and Santa stomps his feet and hells "Ho ho ho. MEERRRYYYY CHRISTMAS!" Then you hear him talk to the adults. "Merry christmas little lady" "Merry Christmas Santa" blah blah. Then the adults yell "Rit, Lolo Hamburger, SANTA was HERE! Wow look at all the presents!" Then we run upstairs and look at all the presents. Oddly enough they are all the presents from all the aunts, uncles and grandma, but Santa brought them. Cool family tradition that Rit still insists on going downstairs for with the kids. I get so excited when I see all the presents. You know it.

9. I hate when a someone gives you a christmas present and you don't have one for them. You ususually don't have one for them because you aren't that good of friends. In order to avoid this ackward event, I keep wrapped presents in my car and in my house. Things like post its and a pack of pens. I really believe people give gifts just to get them, so while I am still handing you something you know I really didn't buy this with you in mind. I probably stole it from work. No, I don't do that, but you don't know that.

10. I try to guess all my presents before I open it. I usually guess them. People now go to great lengths to fake me out.

Happy Holidays!

12 Comments:

so wait...you're saying there IS NO SANTA???!!!
I also have a box of cards. Blank cards, cause I think spending for than a $1 on a card is stupid.
Justin-I don't know if there is or not.
Wait, I though Ashizzle was only 6. Whats up with that?! What kid told her, Aunt Rit will fix this.
I can't wait until I get married, so I can go from not sending Christmas cards at all, to someone else doing it for me.

Sweet.
My mom told me that Santa uses the same wrapping paper she does because he does a quickie wrap session at our house before he places the presents under the tree.

I'm 29 and I still write letters to Santa (via, my mom and dad's email). Two years ago I requested an adult weight capacity pogo stick. I got it. Not that I can use it right now.
Rit, I wish I had half your enthusiam for the holiday. I get too stressed out and then it feels like a chore. Oh, and I hate 9 too. But I don't do anything smart like pre-wrapped gifts. Clever girl.
Rit, my parents still don't let us go downstairs on Christmas morning until they go down and "make sure Santa left everything in the right places." I can only assume this translates into "We were drunk when we put out the presents and the labels may all be wrong," but to this day they insist on the Santa thing.
Why do they do this to us. We could be knocked up any day now and our children will think they were really bad or something when they don't get any presents.
Ah yes, the bad taste syndrome. My husband listens very carefully now because of the whole I can't hide when I hate a gift problem.
Oh my god. Last year Andre bought me a shirt that I swear looked like a dance recital costume. I happened to see it before the actual giving of the gift, so I advised him to return it and just get me a gift certificate. Oy.
Yeah, Luke gave me this thingy that was a mirror with a poem on it like "Love is..." and it had a stand. So you could display it. (This was when he was 20, but still) When I opened it and he saw my face and then asked if I liked it. I said no. He has progressively gotten better over the years, simply to avoid the horror of my insensitivity.

For the slow, comment here

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Past Genuis

  • Wholesome Baby Food
  • Cotton Babies
  • A little Pregnant
  • The Cloth Diaper whisperer
  • Little Man Chase
  • Shaken Mama
  • Karla Babble
  • Mad Ethel
  • The Blinding Glare
  • I think therefore I am Frustrated
  • Bore-a-phil!
  • Conti
  • H-Town Girl
  • Life, Las Vegas Style
  • Blogger


    Free Web Counter
    Web Counter
    QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.